About Me

My photo
Jack is a graduate of Rutgers University where he majored in history. His career in the life and health insurance industry involved medical risk selection and brokerage management. Retired in Florida for over two decades after many years in NJ and NY, he occasionally writes, paints, plays poker, participates in play readings and is catching up on Shakespeare, Melville and Joyce, etc.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Butterfly Season Returns


Friends:   As I rest and recuperate at home, I’ve paid a little attention to my butterfly garden, along the southern wall of my house.  It is thriving! 

Gulf Friillary Buterfly

Its caterpillar
During warm daylight hours, when there is a lot of sunshine, there are plenty of butterflies (broad wing zebras, gulf fritillaries ... the orange ones ... and if they are around, which is not too often, a gold trimmed polydamus swallowtail) to see.  Very, very rarely, behind the house, the similar giant swallowtail, with even more gold color trim on most of its wings, can be seen near the wild pine stump.  Monarchs are still elusive. 

There also are many caterpillars from which cocoons form and from which, if they survive, these creatures hatch.  Check it out.

And if you’re very lucky, I will be on my patio if it is nice out where I will say “Hello.”

No comments: